Friday, May 21, 2010

AUSTRALIA - A Philosopher's Stone

 
It was the winter of 1998 when I decided to settle down in a piece of Queensland paradise called Tamborine Mountain. A property agent drove me around the mountain to view a number of properties when she unexpectedly swerved to the side of the road and confronted me with a question. She asked me what I was doing in Australia. "Is it for political or economic reasons," she pried. Annoyed by her effrontery, I calmly replied, "Neither. I am her for spiritual reasons."

She was stunned by my reply. Recovering from her momentary shock, she burst into a boisterous cackle and said, "You know. We Australians are known for a lot of things. And spirituality isn't one of them."

At that moment in time, I couldn't help agreeing with her. For after all, how can a nation descended from convicts be spiritual? How can people who practiced aboriginal genocide be spiritual? How can a country that espoused a racist White Australia Policy be spiritual?

But after living in Australia for a number of years, I can say with utmost certainty that Australia is indeed spiritual.

I was born in the Philippines and the images of Australia that I grew up with were those of a racist nation that emerged from penal colonies at the cost of the indigenous people's blood. Later in life however, my explorations along the spiritual path led me to the discovery of what purportedly is to be Australia's destiny. I was perplexed by the references to Australia as a Centre of Light in the future. This observation appeared repeatedly in a number of books and prophesies. I found it extremely difficult to reconcile the sharp contrast between Australia's past and her future until after I have lived in Australia for a number of years.

There is a difference between religiosity and spirituality. A religion is an institution with established rules to maintain order and control over the spiritual life of its followers. It is a religion's primary purpose to make it easier for its congregation to reach God. Spirituality, on the other hand, is an individual's unique personal relationship with the Supreme Being.

Devotion is closely associated with spirituality. And so if one is prayerful and pious, it is more likely that one will be assumed to be spiritual. In the Philippines, for instance, it is not unusual to find people walking on their knees from the church portal to the altar with rosaries in their hands. This kind of devotional outpouring will be considered as being highly spiritual. An Australian is neither devotional nor pious. But does his irreverence make him less spiritual?

Australian spirituality is not devotional. It is transformative.

The spirituality of transformation is premised on man's ability to transform himself into someone better. It is man's constant yearning to lift himself from his lowly state towards higher levels of perfection.

From a penal colony, Australia transformed itself into a strong and prosperous country. That's spirituality. From a White Racist state, Australia transformed itself into a dynamic multicultural society. That's spirituality. From aboriginal genocide, Australia transformed itself into a nation steeped in national reconciliation with the Prime Minister apologizing for past injustices. So much so that a social phenomenon called reverse discrimination became an unexpected aftermath. Now that is definitely spirituality.

I shared my thoughts with a friend and told him how fortunate Australia is to have leaders who directed Australia's transformation throughout its history. He retorted that it should not be the politicians who should get the credit. It should be the people. It was the people who elected them to pursue the changes deemed necessary for the country's future. Having witnessed the Australian electoral process, I wholeheartedly agreed with him.

It is said that a philosopher's stone is something that transforms lead into gold. Australia is very much like a philosopher's stone. People who have touched its shores have been transformed. Living better lives. Achieving higher aspirations. This realization ultimately led to my decision to become an Australian. My family and I would like to be a part of Australia's destiny.

If I ever cross the path of the property agent again, I will surely tell her that she was wrong to say that Australians are not spiritual. That spirituality is alive and well in Australia. That its destiny to be a Centre of Light will one day be fulfilled.

Laoshi

21 May 2010